Wednesday 4 September 2013

Remind me why I subtitle stuff again?

My goodness, has this been a difficult part to complete. I can't remember if I had problems in the translation because it was so long ago! However, the technical aspects have plagued me completely.

I have ended up with this file as an mp3 (useful when it's got subtitles, I know!). I have ended up with it apparently in HD yet being so fuzzy as to be unreadable. I have ended up with files that have had a predicted save time of several days. I have had upload times that get stuck at three minutes. I hate technology.

As you're reading this, however, I've managed to get something bearable together. It's worth me saying that, having noticed that we were having some problems with them, I have removed all accents from the subtitles. I don't know what the issue is with accents right now but there is an issue! I may sort this for the next part or I may bury my head and cry about technology.

I couldn't up the quality as much as I would have liked so made the subtitles bigger, which is something I had wanted to do anyway, to make them legible.

Oh, and because someone will moan about my lack of translation of 'esprit': this word, despite being used in German is a French loan word and is used in England too. It means lively and witty and, well, spirited.


Anyway, talking about the part, it contains what is probably my favourite song from the musical "Still, Still". It's a beautiful song of hope and of love, made all the more poignant by the circumstances. What's not so clear in the video, Agnés is tending to the children of a dead woman at this point and it is this woman that Margrid doesn't want to end up like. It's a powerful scene.

I also LOVE Louis in this part. I just feel that the role is perfect. Marie Antoinette herself I'm not so keen on as I feel that she is always made into some evil person but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment