Sunday 8 September 2013

Having 'fun' with part four

So, part three of Marie Antoinette finally made it online and I'm onto part four already.

I must admit that I'm finding this part really, really difficult for various reasons. Firstly, I've not really translated anything for six months now, and haven't even looked at German translation for at least three. That means that everything is going a lot, lot slower than normal. Then I have to come up against a song that includes proverbs, idioms, and euphemism. The icky things to translate! Not only are they often difficult for me to understand but they also are often impossible to correctly put into English. Add to this the lack of practice and I can imagine there are going to be some rather funny sounding translations in this part! Taking it slowly though so hopefully it'll turn out okay!

Then there's the fact that I just don't like this part. For those of you who haven't seen it on the facebook page, this part focuses on Margrid's meeting with Madame Lapin and on introducing Madame Lapin's brothel. I often joke with Nené that every good musical has a good prostitute song (seriously, think about it!) and this is not one of them. I find this song insipid, unnecessary and plain annoying.

So, add all that together and I am really not enjoying translating this part. On the plus side, it is only six minutes long or something.

Anyway, this all seems rather like bad news so I'll spill the better news now. The whole of act one is now split up into parts. I have also timed quite a lot of the subtitles for later parts (and am looking forward to translating those bits) so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment