Thursday 17 July 2014

Practicing with French and a note about Marie

So, Marie's buried in one of my piles of stuff to move with me and ready to go. With that project on hold (only until about September, don't worry*) I've been having fun doing some subbing for friends. I've just about finished subbing Le Roi Soleil from French to English for Nené, who is a dear friend of mine. Although I'm not uploading it onto youtube, it was really exciting for me.

Well, the names were supposed to be in a straight line...
You may remember, back in the LiveJournal days, me moaning about my formatting going up the creek all of a sudden (see right) and I've been using work arounds ever since. After some experimentation, it seems that I've found a way of getting my subtitles to stay in the right position when I want them to and, touch wood, that will be helpful for the future!

The other problem arose when one of my programmes updated and, all of a sudden, my 'special characters', namely any accented letters, became a string of gobbledegook. Again, this may not work out, but it appears that I have solved that problem to. There's something about my programme saving in one text format while the next only accepts a different one and I have to get a different programme to convert... something like that! Anyway, I am so pleased that I got this sorted out because a lot of the French words and names in Marie Antoinette have had to be written without accents and now they can, once again, be written out properly. Exciting!

*I'm not 100% sure when I will upload the next part of Marie Antoinette as there are various factors at play. I'm moving to a new country so will need to spend time doing other things. I'm starting at a new university and will probably need to spend the early weeks focusing on that. I also, importantly, may be without internet for a while. I predict the next part should be uploaded in mid to late September. I guarantee nothing but will keep you updated :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment